Monday, October 11, 2010

Documentary

The main assignment for Video Production 2 in this sem is to shoot a 10 minute documentary.
The new part time lecturer just simply gave us some guideline and briefly explained about the assessment.
This was what he did, threw an assignment to us and let us do everything by ourself afterward.
Last month, I was struggled for this assignment, wondered what should do and questioned myself alot.
How can a documentary be consider as good? What are the procedure or steps we as a new learner should follow in order to produce a documentary? I been worried about the editing, since everyone in the group is not familiar with the editing software at all. And slowly, I found myself lost. I even doubted myself on the basic question that what actually a documentary is?

When no one we can rely to, we are the only one that can help ourself out.
I did my own research, looking for the topic that I am interested in and under my ability, try to plan on the detail of everything.
Then, I found these video clips online.
I think the time when we are willing to learn, we can learn more.
And the first thing came into my mind after watching these videos are, I definitely learn more from these videos compare to the lecture in Uni that I paid for RM1500.
Not sometimes, but I feel like my tuition fee is a waste all along this semester!

Here come with those YouTube video clips about Documentary and little about editing.
The videos show together with basic and simple explanation about documentary and easy to understand as well.

What is a documentary?

How do we start?

Shooting Tips.

Question: Documentary is subjective or objective?
I like the question that asked by the 15 years old student very much.
In my opinion, I think documentary is subjective, just as the same with the news written by journalists. As the DOP and editor in this assignment, I can realize that the perspective on the documentary is totally based on the director, the production team. This is a bias that cannot be avoided.

Post Production
Editing influences much in a documentary. It is either make the video great or worse.
For me, I think it is important for the director to master or know about the shooting skill together with editing. A balance should be achieved.

Learning by ourself is sometimes better than learning in class.
In the comment box of the student evaluation form, I would like to fill in like this,
"Apart from study by ourself, we as a student should have the opportunity to learn things from the class by paying for the costly tuition fee."
Hope our Uni management is really processing on our precious comments!

At last, something I want to share with others in the nearly end of this semester.
I realize something after went through about one and a half month of this semester.
When we encounter obstacles in our life, study or work, rather than feeling upset or give up on it, we should find ways to solve it.
The main point here is when you meet some difficulties, deal it with the most basic, most underlying method.
You don't know how to use Final Cut Pro, then use Window Movie Maker (told by a senior).
You didn't manage to find your internship job, search and apply again, send your resume and call again.
Back to the fundamental way to deal with the problem, it will seem easier to be solve.
Waiting is suffering, but happiness comes after suffering.
The most important is you believe that you will reach the final goal later, you persist not to give up.